Assistive technology basics

What Happens to My Child’s Assistive Technology If We Change Schools?

By Jessica Millstone

If my child changes schools or moves to another state, what happens to his assistive technology?

Jessica Millstone

Former Education Fellow, Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop

In general, if you change schools, your child’s assistive technology device stays with the school that originally provided it. This is the rule whether you move across the country or to the other side of town.

In some cases your school district might be willing to sell the device to you or transfer it to the new school. You may want to raise this possibility with your child’s current school.

But keep in mind that stores may sell new devices for less money. Also, if you buy a device from your child’s school, this means you’ll be responsible for maintaining and repairing it.

Your child’s new school district needs to provide him with a free and appropriate public education. So chances are good you’ll be able to get a similar device at the new school.

But if you’re concerned or if you really want to maintain access to a particular device, you may want to consider buying one on your own. If you decide to go this route, do some research to see if you can get any financial assistance for this purchase.

About the Author

Portrait of Jessica Millstone

Jessica Millstone works with BrainPOP, focusing on improving teaching and learning through the integration of innovative technologies.

Did you find this helpful?

Have your own question?

Get and give answers in the Understood Community. It’s a safe place to connect with parents and experts. Get started in our groups.

What’s New on Understood