Choosing not to have your child evaluated

Checklist: Informal Supports You Can Request for Your Child

By Peg Rosen

Your child is struggling in school. Even if you’re not ready to have him evaluated for learning and attention issues, you can still request help. The key is asking instead of demanding—since without an IEP or 504 plan, the school isn’t legally required to provide accommodations.

Supports and Allowances You Might Consider Requesting

If you’re thinking about requesting informal supports like these, explore these sentence starters to use when talking with teachers.

About the Author

Portrait of Peg Rosen

Peg Rosen writes for digital and print, including ParentCenter, WebMD, Parents, Good Housekeeping and Martha Stewart.

Reviewed by

Portrait of Virginia Gryta

Virginia Gryta, M.S., teaches and mentors students working toward master’s degrees and certification in special education at Hunter College.

Did you find this helpful?

502Found this helpful
502Found this helpful

What’s New on Understood