Community Member Guidelines
- Understood.org, its community and its social media accounts exist to connect parents to resources and experts in the fields of learning and attention issues. We welcome anyone interested in joining us in this pursuit.
- You are encouraged to access as many articles, slideshows, blogs, tools and infographics on Understood.org as you wish, and to share what you learn with others both online and offline. If you find a piece of content helpful, please mark it as such. Please “like” any user comments you agree with as well.
- We are happy to invite you to participate in the community groups on Understood.org, and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media channels. We are building a mature online community centered around families with children who have learning or attention issues.
We reserve the right to remove content that is unconstructive or off-topic, or that contains excessive use of profanity.
Please be aware, when participating, that we will remove:
- Content that does not directly relate to larger discussions in a meaningful way.
- Racist, sexist, homophobic or religiously intolerant content.
- Disrespectful, distasteful or illegal content.
- Content promoting pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, zealotry, proselytizing, self-promotion or product hawking.
- Inquiries about research projects or study promotions.
- Content posted by members using inappropriate profile names or profile images.
- In order to join the community on Understood.org, you will need to create an Understood.org profile, which will link you to Understood.org. Anyone 13 and over can join Understood.org by providing basic contact information (first name and last name, email address, country of residence). Once you’re registered, we encourage you to set up a profile indicating the specific learning and attention issues in which you have an interest. Join the community by commenting on articles, blogs and tools. Respond to users’ conversation threads on existing discussions or create your own.
- If you are under age 13, you may not create an Understood.org account, and therefore you cannot actively participate in the Understood.org community. You’re welcome to view Understood.org and enjoy the site, but you must be at least 13 to create an account on Understood.org.
- If you act disrespectfully, disruptively or illegally in the community on Understood.org or on our social media channels, we reserve the right to block you or terminate your membership, at any time and without prior warning.
- Understood experts are committed to providing parents with advice that’s free of charge and never influenced by commercial interests. However, all communication between parents and experts should only take place within the Understood Community.
- Please note that screen names are generated by individual users and may contain titles (such as Dr. or Ph.D.) that are not vetted by the Understood team.
We are serious about reading and considering all feedback we receive. If you have any questions, concerns or comments regarding these Community Member Guidelines, please let us know at email@example.com.
Using the Flag Button
Have you come across a topic you find inappropriate? Understood.org is keeping an eye out for inappropriate topics but can use your help to flag troublesome content. If you see a topic that concerns you:
- Please click the Flag button on the comment to send us an alert. No comments will be removed or hidden automatically, but the Understood.org team will be alerted to review it as soon as possible. Other members will not be able to see that you’ve flagged a comment.
- Please don’t overuse the Flag button, or flag a comment simply because you disagree with the author.
How to Avoid Topic Removal
No one likes having his or her contributions removed. Understood.org staff don’t like removing content either, but occasionally find it necessary for the overall health of our on-site and social media community. Here are some reasons your topic may be removed:
- Abuse: Understood.org is not the place for bullying, name-calling, hateful feedback, threats, harassment, intolerance or virtual violence.
- Crass Commercialism: Understood.org is not the right place for selling or promoting your product or service. It’s also not the right place for soliciting traffic to your website or looking for external project participation.
- Spam: Any spam messages will be deleted.
- Inappropriate Topics: Whether it’s unrelated content or it’s derailing a conversation, topics posted that are not appropriate will be removed.
- Inappropriate Language: Understood.org is not the right place for chatroom banter, textspeak, foul language, obscenity or combative posturing.
- Inappropriate Images: Explicit or inappropriate profile images will result in your account being deleted.
- Privacy Concern: If your comment divulges private information (including telephone numbers, mailing addresses or ways to make in-person contact) about you or another person, that information will be deleted for your protection.
- Terms of Service Violation: We will remove any topic that violates the Understood.org terms of service.
If the Understood.org staff removes your topic, please consider working with us to revise your content until it is appropriate for the community. Please don’t harass or threaten the staff; doing so will risk removal of your account.
Again, welcome to the community on Understood.org! Thank you for taking the time to read through this guide. We look forward to providing you a safe, supportive environment in which to interact with other parents of children with learning and attention issues.