Sample Scripts for Dispute Resolution
- Script: Disagreeing With an Evaluation Result (View / Download)
- Script: Asking for a Program or Service (View / Download)
- Script: Asking for Assistive Technology (View / Download)
- Script: Asking for an Accommodation (View / Download)
- Script: Convincing the School Not to Reduce Services (View / Download)
- Script: Opening Statement in a Mediation or Hearing (View / Download)
Speaking up for the services and accommodations your child needs is a vital skill. But if there’s a dispute or negotiation, what can you say? Here are examples of how you can advocate for your child.
Keep in mind that it’s very important to have a written record of school decisions. If the school denies a request, you need them to send you a letter explaining why. This paper trail will be key if you later decide to challenge a school decision. Be sure to take a look at sample letters for communicating with your school during a dispute, too.